Statistics report that many house fires are caused by poor or faulty electrical work or old wiring. Now, the wiring of a home feeds everything electrical into it. But with time, some parts of your wiring can start deteriorating hence may present serious dangers. However, old electrical wirings don’t always mean that they’re unsafe or they need to be replaced. It’s why you need to have an experienced electrician to access your home’s wiring condition and whether it can handle electrical loads. And that’s where we come in.
Boulder Electrical has been servicing homeowners in Colorado for many years. Not only do we have quick turnarounds times but we also offer same day service. We understand how dangerous and frustrating electrical issues are, that’s why our experienced technicians take the shortest time to arrive at your home and fix them. All our contractors are fully insured and bonded. Call us today for both small and big electrical issues.
How to Know That Your Wiring System Is Old
Homes that were built between 20-30 years ago probably need rewiring in their electrical home system. But, always have a professional electrician inspect your wiring system at least once in ten years to guarantee electrical safety. That said, here are some signs that your wiring needs replacement.
The ground fault circuit interrupter outlets are absent in bathrooms, kitchen, and other areas in your house that frequently get exposed to damp or wet conditions.
Dangers of Old Electrical Wiring
Easily Overloaded-most old homes have few electrical outlets since individuals did not use many electrical appliances back in the day. But nowadays, thanks to technology, homes are filled with many electrical devices that use significant amounts of power. Circuits in homes that have few electrical outlets are mostly overloaded. Note that while many homeowners use extension cords as circuits, overloaded circuits are extremely dangerous as they could cause fire hazards.
Reduced Protection-for many years, electrical wires were coated with a rubber protective. But with time, this coating starts deteriorating and crumbling leaving wires expose and increasing the chances of a fire starting. Thankfully, electrical wires nowadays are coated with PVC which doesn’t deteriorate fast hence exposing wires. But if your home was built more than 20 years ago, you should consider getting it rewired.
No Electrical Receptacle Grounding-when grounding is absent, electrical appliances risk damage should electrical surges occur. Grounding helps prevent electrical shocks when power is flowing through an improper path.
What Can Be Done?
If your house has old wiring, you need to call a professional electrician for an inspection. Homeowners should also replace extension cords where they’re permanently used. Additionally, all damaged switches as well as receptacles should be replaced. Also, you should change loose outlets that occur mostly in areas where cords are often plugged in and out. Again, individuals should invest in a new 200-amp electrical panel. But, those who can’t afford the budget of replacing their electrical panel can replace circuit breakers with arc-fault circuit interrupters.
Old wiring can start electrical fires in a house. It’s why you should call an electrician for proper inspection. If you’re having electrical wirings issues, Boulder Electrical is here to help you. We’ve been servicing homeowners in the city of Boulder for many years, providing updated wiring along with other electrical assistance. If you’re noticing any of the signs we’ve mentioned above, you need to have our licensed electricians visit your home for an inspection. Contact us today to get an estimate for your home’s wiring project.